Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

Muslin for Simplicity 2313

I'm really glad I decided to make the muslin for this jacket before cutting the faux snake skin that I'd like to make it out of....
because it doesn't fit
It is very close, just a little tight through the upper arm and the waist. Guess I'm up for some reading because I have no idea how to alter this. There are four front pieces, and three back pieces all of which attach to either the pockets or the sleeves, except the center back, and that fits fine. Maybe I should just enlarge the sleeves and the center front pieces at the closure...I have no clue.

3 comments:

  1. I always have to make tops smaller as I am quite petite. Not this one! I also had to make the upper sleeve, where it meets the side seam 2 inches wider. I did this by butting the sleeve horizontally and vertically but not cutting thru the seam allowances. I then spread it open and taped a tissue underneath. It fits fine now. I don't know who these arms would fit as mine may not be skinny but they are far from huge. If you are interested I have my journey up on the blog. Hope this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to say "cutting" not "butting". Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bunny- I did modify the pattern piece, but I haven't sewn it up yet. I decided to do a modified trench with the snake skin instead, something a little longer. I do have a purple suede (faux) and a taupe that I'm going to use for this jacket instead...thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete