Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

SWAP 2011 start- "Dfellows"

As if I don't have enough to do with my sewing space disarray, my dissertation, my full time job...I'm going to try to sew the 2011 SWAP since the entire point of setting up a sewing area in my bonus room, is, well, to sew!
This is new for me, I am not an experienced garment sewer, though I guess you might say I'm an ambitious one :)

So, I'm going to do option 2 which consists of 6 tops, 2 bottoms, 2 dresses, and 1 choice garment.
The challenge is to use a new technique, or a never mastered technique in the pieces.

I have ordered some patterns and fabrics for the SWAP, because I didn't have everything I needed. My color palette is red, black, white, and gray.

For my Tops:
1 red sweater, Possibly Butterick P403, but I may change
1 black shirt, no idea of the pattern
1 black and white floral shirt, Simplicity 2310 (already started)
1 sequin shirt Butterick P403
1 red knit top, Simplicity 2804
1 tank black and red roses, no pattern

Bottoms:
1 red skirt, I modified Simplicity 5792 A line and turned it into a pencil skirt- not the best idea (finished)
1 black and white houndstooth skirt (ordered a pencil skirt pattern, on its way!)

Dresses:
1 grey dress, New Look 6909
1 black and white lace dress, pattern ordered but not fabric

Choice:
1 grey/black faux snake skin jacket (I'm making a muslin for this today), Simplicity 0497 the arm size looks a little wonky on the pattern...

Challenges (that I know of) so far-
the rolled hem (especially the ruffles) on the black and white silk, and the elastic in the sleeves (hence their absence in the photo :)  )
the open hem sleeve that will be on the sequin shirt
lace!!
the lining in the red skirt. and the zipper.
Here is the finished red skirt modified from A line to pencil, and the black and white silk that doesn't have the sleeves yet- elastic...yikes!

the scary faux snake skin I'm afraid to cut- I'm going to make a muslin first...not so certain of sewing a jacket that has three million pattern pieces, and expecting it to fit

the other fabrics I actually have on hand- the red jersey and black and red burnout roses are on the way, so all I really still need to buy is the fabric for the lace dress.

Good luck to all- I know I'm going to need it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment